Position: Data, Evaluation and Improvement Lead
Position Type: Full Time
Employment Terms: Permanent
Compensation: Competitive Sector wages and compensation package, including a health and dental program, employer-matched pension, flexible work schedule and four weeks’ annual vacation.
Position Location: Preference for working from the JHSS Regina office, but professionals located within Saskatchewan will be considered. Travel will be required as part of this position,
at times last-minute or extended.
Application Process: Email CV and cover letter with salary expectations to HR Recruitment at HR@sk.johnhoward.ca. JHSS appreciates the effort of all applicants who apply for this role, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply By: 3:00 pm (CST), July 12th, 2023
Integrated Youth Services is a national and international movement, aimed at transforming how youth, ages 12 to 25, and their families find and access the resources, services, and supports they need.
Integrated Youth Services (IYS) offers a one-stop centre in the community, providing rapid access to quality, evidence-based, integrated, culturally safe, youth-targeted services and supports, with a focus on prevention and early intervention.
Integrated Youth Services offers a range of core services that include, but are not limited to, the following key supports:
- mental health and substance misuse services;
- primary care, sexual health, and harm reduction services;
- education, employment, and training supports;
- social and community services;
- youth and family peer support; and
- other services as identified by community need.
The John Howard Society of Saskatchewan has been selected to lead Integrated Youth Services (IYS) as the Backbone organization in Saskatchewan. The Backbone organization is responsible for implementing a consistent and comprehensive provincial IYS model, as well as establishing and fostering collective and strategic partnerships. It is also responsible for providing leadership, provincial direction, and ongoing support for long-term operation of a minimum of three physical IYS sites in Saskatchewan in addition to virtual services.
The John Howard Society of Saskatchewan is seeking an experienced Data, Evaluation and Improvement Lead to join our IYS Backbone Team. As a member of the Backbone Team, the Lead will focus on developing, implementing and monitoring the infrastructure required to ensure standard data collection, measurement, monitoring and continuous improvement across the IYS network. This includes but is not limited to building the data collection and reporting systems through a selected data platform and supporting evaluation and data collection of youth, caregiver and clinician reported outcomes across Youth Hubs. The Manager will be responsible for supporting the implementation and operation of the data platform at Youth Hubs across the Province. Duties include managing confidential information, extracting and staging health care data; preparing data sets and databases; analyzing, auditing and monitoring data and outcomes; and documenting and finalizing reporting requirements in line with guidelines and timelines. The position is also responsible for planning, establishment, maintenance and evaluation of related databases.
Reporting to the Director of IYS and working closely with IYS Backbone Team, the responsibilities of this position will include the following:
• Leads the selection and development of the data platform to use across the Youth Hubs.
• Work with partners to establish policy and practice on data sovereignty, including formalizing agreements and practices around consent, data collection, data management, data sharing and usage.
• Leads the implementation of the evaluation framework and oversees the development of outcome evaluation activities.
• Engages on efforts to implement and monitor performance and quality indicators for Youth Hubs. Collaborates with stakeholders in the assessment of key indicators.
• Works with the Director of IYS in developing a research and evaluation strategy and collaborating with researchers and evaluators; fosters the planning and implementation of research activities.
• Designs, maintains and enhances data collection and reporting systems across Youth Hubs using the data platform.
• Coordinates and produces comprehensive, timely and quality data sets; Oversees data entry, cleaning, extraction and analysis.
• Develops, implements and manages compliance with established operating procedures.
• Streamlines data collection and analysis procedures to provide Youth Hubs and the backbone team with access to essential data sets and metrics.
• Collaborates with data, research and evaluation specialist(s) to develop evaluation reports and other documents required for program evaluation, performance and tracking to identify opportunities to improve operational and programmatic effectiveness and efficiency.
• Maintains the Saskatchewan IYS databases to ensure data integrity by:
• Providing data and database-related technical assistance, user support, and troubleshooting to Youth Hubs and partners;
• Facilitating and supporting data entry, data analysis, and generation of reports across Youth Hubs and identifies errors and takes corrective action as required;
• Managing privacy and security processes relating to the data platform including the development and implementation of efficient and secure procedures for data handling and analysis with attention to all technical aspects;
• Generating and reviewing documentation for all database changes; and
• Providing recommendations for software, hardware and data storage upgrades;
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience
• Diploma or degree in a relevant field and six (6) years’ experience preferred or at least three (3) years minimum as a data scientist, senior data analyst or a senior evaluator with Health Information Science, Epidemiology, Health Economics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Ability to present analyzed data and materials to a variety of stakeholders and in a variety of forms.
Knowledge, Skills, and Assets
• Effective communication skills to function within a complex interdisciplinary environment involving diverse program partners in health and social service.
• Knowledge of data administration and management functions (collection, analysis, distribution etc.), with attention to security and confidentiality.
• Knowledge of modern database and information system technologies.
• Demonstrated ability to work with large data sets and extrapolate conclusions from large data sets.
• Familiarity with applicable federal and provincial privacy legislation and standards (e.g., HIPA, the Privacy Act¸ PIPEDA) as well as work occurring through Indigenous communities and organizations with regard to information and data governance.
• Ability to apply decision making, analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to prioritize, plan, coordinate, and organize work.
• Ability to operate required equipment.
• Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with individuals at all levels of the organization.
• Strong time- and project-management skills, with an ability to effectively respond to complex and competing priorities in a large-scale, collaborative initiative.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work, at times in fast-based or changing environments.
• Ability to work collaboratively with others to produce effective deliverables.
• Proficient in Microsoft 365 (Teams, Excel, Word, SharePoint, etc.), virtual meeting software, and other applications relevant to the position.
JHSS Workplace Culture and Accountabilities
As part of the JHSS Leadership Team, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
• Cultivating a positive workplace culture and contributing to JHSS’s goal of being an employer of choice among Saskatchewan non-profits.
• Promoting excellent communication and unity between programs, locations, and our provincial office.
• Assisting in the training and empowerment of frontline leaders to have more control over program budgets, staffing, reporting, and deliverables.
• Work with JHSS’s Leadership Team to ensure that all Employee Success Plans align with JHSS’s Strategic Plan.
• Work with JHSS’s Leadership Team to analyze, develop, and implement consistent operational processes and procedures that align with JHSS’s mission, vision, values, and strategic plan.
The above statements reflect general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and shall not be construed as the detailed description of all work assignments that may be inherent to the position.